Public Works

Mr. Purnell Hall, Foreman

([email protected])

4901 Upshur Street
Bladensburg, Maryland 20710
(301) 927-1452

Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4 p.m. (weekdays)

The Public Works Department provides many essential town services, such as building maintenance, snow removal, street maintenance, street cleaning, and traffic sign repair. Additional responsibilities include oversight of street light repair and waste management.

Leaf Collection
Litter Pickup
Mowing Services
Snow Emergency
Street Lights
Street Repair

Waste Management

Bulk Waste Pickup
Garbage Collection
Electronics Recycling
Yard Waste
Collection Schedule
Construction Materials
Harmful Household Waste

Leaf Collection

During the months of November, December and January, weather permitting, the Department operates its Leaf Collection Program. Leaves must be placed in brown compostable bags.

⇐ Back to top.

Litter Pickup

Litter and debris is picked up along Town maintained streets. If litter or debris is on private property, removal is the responsibility of the property owner. The illegal dumping of trash along Town streets ranges from soda cans and coffee cups to tires and construction debris. All this trash must be collected and disposed of in order to maintain a livable community for a healthy and clean environment. To report litter or illegal dumping, please call (301) 864-6080, 24-hours a day.

⇐ Back to top.

Mowing Services

The Department of Public Works provides landscape maintenance of Town rights-of-way. This includes:

  • Mowing of medians & along roadsides
  • Cleaning of brush
  • Graffiti control

To request maintenance of Town rights-of-way, please call (301) 927-1452.
⇐ Back to top.


The Department of Public Works is responsible for the maintenance and replacement of all traffic control devices and street name signs on Town streets. They include signs and pavement markings. Properly maintained traffic controls are vital to traffic safety. Maintenance of traffic signals are the responsibility of the State Highway Administration (SHA).

To report damaged or missing traffic control devices or street name signs on Town streets, please call (301) 927-1452.

⇐ Back to top.

Snow Emergency

The Town of Bladensburg is responsible for providing passable conditions over a network of almost 30 miles of Town maintained roadways. Clearing roadways consists of plowing, salting, or sanding, as warranted by weather conditions.

During a snow emergency, parking is prohibited along all designated snow emergency routes.

Property owners are responsible for the removal of snow and ice from sidewalks along their property within 48 hours after precipitation has stopped. Please do NOT shovel the snow/ice back into the street.

To see live weather and traffic conditions, please see The Weather Channel.

⇐ Back to top.

Street Lights

Requests for new or improved street lights should be directed to the Director of Public Works at (301) 927-1452. The Town does not consider street lighting requests for State or County maintained highways, or Private Streets.

Street Light Repairs

Once street lights are installed, they are maintained by the utility companies. As a result, burned-out or damaged street lights should be reported to the utility company serving the area. This is usually the same company serving your home with electricity. The utility companies prefer that residents report street light problems directly to their offices since residents are in a better position to provide necessary information.

Here are the telephone numbers of the two utility companies serving Bladensburg:

Potomac Electric Power Company (PEPCO)

(202) 833-7500

Baltimore Gas & Electric Company (BG&E)

(800) 685-0123

⇐ Back to top.

Street Repairs

Reporting Street Hazards or Potholes

Potential hazardous street conditions and potholes are made safe by making temporary repairs to the affected area. Permanent repairs will be completed as funds become available.

To report a potential hazard on the Town rights-of-way, which involves sidewalks, curb & gutter, concrete apron, or uneven pavement surfaces, please call (301) 927-1452.

⇐ Back to top.

Bulk Waste Pickup

Bulk waste includes large items other than yard waste, which cannot be containerized, bagged or bundled. Examples of bulk waste items are refrigerators, carpet rolls, couches, large TV’s and lumber. Bulk waste items are collected once per month on the 3rd Saturday at curbside by appointment only. Bulk waste should be placed curbside on the Friday night before the scheduled collection date.NO more than 4 ITEMS please. Do not leave bulk pick up items outside in yard or driveway any other time, only the day before. Bulk items such as mattresses and appliances as they may provide a breeding place for rodents and other infestations.

To schedule a pickup, contact the Department of Public Works at (301) 864-2430. For more information, please call (301) 927-1452.

⇐ Back to top.

Household Garbage Collection

The Department of Public Works provides critical solid waste and recycling services to single-family homes through contractual services provided by Republic Services. Trash should be deposited at the curb in a tightly sealed container before 7:00 a.m., on collection days. COLLECTIONS ARE ONCE A WEEK. please click the link to see more: Trash Collection

Electronics Recycling

County residents may drop off their used and unwanted electronics to the residential Electronics Recycling Acceptance Site, free of charge. Businesses may call (301) 883-5045 to obtain information on electronic recycling.

Brown Station Road Sanitary Landfill

11611 White House Road

Upper Marlboro, Maryland

(301) 883-5045

Sunday ONLY – 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Non-commercial vehicles only!

Acceptable Items:

laptop computers
fax machines
telephone systems
computer speakers
main frames
surge protectors
cell phones
circuit boards
CD players
component parts

Ink jet & toner cartridges (from printers and fax machines).

Maximum of 5 monitors and/or televisions (non-console) per vehicle per Sunday.

Unacceptable Items:

stereo speakers
appliances (such as toasters and microwave ovens)

⇐ Back to top.

(Current) Town Ordinance

(Upon a Code Review, this ordinance will be changed to reflected present and anticipated community practices and standards.)

§ 61-2. Collection regulations for single-family homes.

A. The following regulations shall apply to all trash and garbage collections for single-family homes

within the town:

(1) All trash and garbage collections shall be made twice weekly as determined by the town.

Trash and garbage shall be placed in containers at the curbside late in the evening on the

night before scheduled collection or before 7:00 a.m. on the day of pickup. No emptied

trash or garbage receptacles and/or containers shall remain at the front curbline longer than

twenty-four (24) hours immediately after the trash and garbage pickup services, and all such

receptacles/containers shall be removed to the rear of properties unnoticed from the street

and public ways.

(2) All trash, garbage and waste materials shall be placed in metal, plastic or other sturdy

containers with a tightfitting lid or sealed in such a manner that animals shall not be attracted

by the contents of the receptacles or containers.

(3) It shall be unlawful to deposit any trash, waste materials or the like in paper containers for

any purpose whatsoever or for the purpose of the front curb trash collections.

(4) No single filled container or bundle shall exceed sixty (60) pounds in weight. There is no

limit to the number of standard containers up to thirty-two (32) gallons capacity that may

be used, but no more than two hundred (200) pounds will be picked up at any time.

(5) No automobile parts, tree stumps, large tree trunks and limbs, stone, sod, dirt, poisons, acids, caustics, explosives and paints will be picked up at any time. Articles such as boxes, crates, magazines, newspapers, tree trimmings and hedge cuttings, when not placed in standard containers, must be broken down and tied in compact bundles not heavier than sixty (60) pounds nor more than four (4) feet in length.

(7) Excess refuse not fitting into standard containers must be prepared in a compact bundle or placed in a disposable container.

(8) Bulky trash from residences [one (1) item only], such as old refrigerators, washing machines, water tanks and old furniture, must be placed at the front curb. Refrigerators must have their doors removed as a safety precaution. This service will be provided on a weekly basis.

(9) Leaf collection will be made in the fall of each year on a continual basis as determined by

the town. Leaves shall be piled and placed at the curbline, not in the street or gutters.

B. For garbage and trash not covered in this section, special arrangements should be made between

resident, agent or owner and the contracting company, provided that such arrangements shall not

be in conflict with the ordinances of the town and county

¶ 61-3. Commercial, industrial and institutional garbage and trash removal. Trash originating in institutional, industrial and commercial establishments, including apartment houses, shall be excluded from all municipal garbage and trash pickup. The owners or their representative agents of such institutional, industrial and commercial establishments shall have the responsibility of garbage and trash removal, provided that such garbage and trash removal shall not be in conflict with the ordinances of the town and county.

¶ 61-4. Offensive accumulations prohibited.
It shall be unlawful for any owner, tenant or servant to keep or cause to be kept or to deposit or accumulate any trash, waste materials, rubbish, filth and stagnant water upon his property that would in any manner cause unhealthy, unsanitary and offensive conditions, nor shall any person permit any of the above to remain thereon for a period in excess of twenty-four (24) hours, unless, however, such offensive nuisance becomes a detriment to the immediate property owners or to the neighborhood, in which case action may be taken by the Code Enforcement Officer to abate the nuisance immediately.

¶ 61-5. Burning of garbage and waste.
No owner, tenant, person or servant shall burn any garbage, food substance or animal waste on any property or in any incinerator or open fireplace within the town unless the incinerator is approved for this specific purpose by Prince George’s County.

¶ 61-6. Refuse in streams and drainage ditches prohibited.
No person shall dump or throw any waste materials or garbage in any stream or open branch or drainage ditch within the town.

¶ 61-7. Violations and penalties. [Amended 12-24-93 by Res. No. 2-93]
It shall be unlawful to cause or permit any earth, clay, sand, gravel, broken stone, mortar, hay, straw, manure, shavings, sawdust, coal, ashes, paper, rubbish, or any loose material, or any liquid except water to be scattered, dropped, leaked, spilled or let fall from any cart, wagon, truck or other vehicle in which the same may be carried, upon any of the streets or roadways within the Town of Bladensburg, and this prohibition shall apply to the owner, driver, operator, manager, agent, foreman, superintendent or person or persons in charge of such cart, wagon, truck, or other vehicle from which any of the materials hereinbefore mentioned shall be scattered, dropped, leaked, spilled or let fall upon any street or roadway. Any person who violates the provisions of this chapter shall upon conviction be guilty of a municipal infraction and shall be punishable as provided for in ¶C7-2b of the Charter.

⇐ Back to top.


Residential recyclables are collected curbside. Residents  are NOT allowed to mix household trash in Recycle bins. For more information, please call (301) 952-7630.

Cans (aluminum, steel and bi-metal)

  • Remember… rinse all beverage and food cans before placing them in your recycling bin
  • Remove all lids from food containers.

Glass (clear, brown and green)

  • Only glass food and beverage containers are accepted.
  • Remember… remove caps and rinse before placing them in your recycling bin.


  • Newspaper, magazines, small catalogs, telephone books and glossy inserts should be placed in paper bags or
  • Tied securely and placed next to or on top of your recycling bin (plastic bags are not acceptable)


  • Narrow-neck plastic containers such as milk and water jugs; beverage containers; detergent bottles; and bleach bottles are acceptable.
  • Remember… remove all caps and rinse thoroughly before placing in recycling bin.

⇐ Back to top.

Yard Waste

Yard waste includes grass clippings, leaves, small branches, brush and Christmas trees. For more information about yard waste collection, please call (301) 927-1452.

Yard waste must ONLY be  placed in, heavy-duty yard waste paper bags Cardboard boxes are NOT acceptable containers.

Limbs must not exceed four (4) feet in length and three (3) inches in diameter and must be securely tied in bundles. Bundles of limbs and bags of dry grass and leaves must weigh NO more than 25 pounds.

Do not mix household trash and yard waste. Combined wastes will not be collected.

⇐ Back to top.

Collection Schedule

Bulk Waste Third Saturday of Month, by appointment (ONLY)
Construction Waste Tuesday
Harmful Household Waste Call (301) 883-5045 (MUST CALL) for drop off schedule and locations
Household Trash Wednesday
Recycling Wednesday
Yard Waste Wednesday

Condominiums Pick-up Friday

For more information, contact the Department of Public Works at (301) 927-1452.

⇐ Back to top.

Construction Materials

The Department of Public Works will collect construction materials on Tuesday from do-it-yourself remodeling or renovation of single family homes, motor vehicle batteries and tires set out at the curb.

Contractors are responsible for hauling away debris from their remodeling or renovation sites.

⇐ Back to top.

Harmful Household Waste

Prince George’s County residents who need to dispose of harmful household waste such as cleaners, solvents, poisons, acids, insecticides, oil-based paints, and other hazardous materials may call (301) 883-5045 for the drop off schedule and locations. For further information, please call (301) 883-7600.

⇐ Back to top.