The Bladensburg Town Council has adopted Town Codes (laws) specifically designed to ensure the absence of blight, nuisances, and to maintain a clean environment for all citizens in our community. The Town of Bladensburg does this by working in partnership with the people of Bladensburg.
The mission of the Code Enforcement Division is to promote and maintain a safe and desirable living and working environment. We help maintain and improve the quality of our community by:
- Administering a fair and unbiased enforcement program to correct violations of municipal codes and land use requirements
- Working with residents, neighborhood associations, public services agencies and other Town departments to:
- Facilitate voluntary compliance with Town laws and codes
- Empower community self-help programs
- Develop public outreach programs.
- Establish community priorities for enforcement programs
The violator of a Town code(s) is usually given the opportunity to voluntarily comply with the law and correct the situation within a reasonable period. If the violator has not complied with the Compliance Order within the specified time the Code Enforcement Department will take corrective action to remedy the problem. Several options are available:
- Administrative Penalties are designed to address all violations. Fines may vary and range from $100 to $10,000
- Civil Penalties are used for major violations. Fines can reach $250 per day starting from the date a non-compliance letter is issued for an alleged violation and/or a Town code enforcement officer is assigned the case. All information provided is kept confidential.
- Judicial remedies are used when other remedies are not believed to have high probabilities of success.